Position Purpose: The school nurse protects and promotes student health, facilitates optimal development, and supports academic success. School nurses are grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice and are the leaders who bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to a design system that allows individuals and communities to develop their full potential.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Completion of a Registered Nursing Program, required.
- Hold a valid nursing license with Nebraska’s Department of Health & Human Services or the Nurse Licensure Compact, required.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (CPR & AED) or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire, required
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or evidence of actively working towards a bachelor’s degree, required; Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Special Services School Nurse Certificate through the Nebraska Department of Education, preferred.
- Ability to develop positive relationships to promote mutual dignity and respect among students and staff.
- Ability and patience to work interactively with students.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Evidence of the willingness and ability to comply with standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student information system.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Provides nursing/health care for children of various ages with varied medical issues.
- Provides on-site health assessments and develops/implements appropriate emergency health care plans.
- Ensuring compliance of the state’s immunization program.
- Continual maintenance of cumulative student health records according to statutory requirements.
- Takes appropriate measures in case of injury, communicable disease symptoms, signs of abuse or other condition, which affect the welfare of an individual or group of students.
- Maintains a secure location for all medications and medical equipment to ensure safety of all.
- Provides meaningful communication and educates in areas pertaining to student health.
- Participates in the building’s crisis team.
- Provides appropriate medical care for school staff and visitors during a crisis situation.
- Participates in the wellness committee for the school.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills in a multicultural urban setting.
- Demonstrates strong communication and organizational skills and awareness of community services.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Maintains open lines of communications with parents, guardians and staff.
- Coordinates with other school professional staff members and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards with ethical and professional performance established by district policy as well as the State Board of Education.
- Works collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the program and support the District’s vision, aims and goals.
Salary: $45,000.00 – $57,600 (BS degree level) / Per Year