Special Education School Age Support Specialist (Education Specialist III)

The Nebraska Department of Education is looking for a Special Education School Age Support Specialist to provide leadership, content area expertise, and technical assistance to Nebraska schools, Educational Service Units (ESUs), and other educational entities related to Special Education services for young children.

Examples of Work

  • Provides support and technical assistance related to effective instructional strategies with students with disabilities in all content areas.
  • Develops and delivers professional learning experiences and provides resources related to special education.
  • Promotes Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) and provides support to assist students gain access to general education curriculum.
  • Supports training regarding MTSS, evidence-based practice, and working with students with disabilities, and assists with development and delivery of training.
  • Possesses a valid driver’s license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
  • Maintains regular and reliable attendance.

Other Duties and Responsibilities:

  • Participates in and represents the Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) in committees, workgroups, and meetings.
  • Collects and compiles data and reports to provide oversight for State and Annual Performance Plan Indicators related to early childhood outcomes, and provides technical assistance to school districts regarding these indicators.
  • Maintains current knowledge of recent literature and research-based best practices for early childhood special education.

Working Conditions and Travel:
This position requires approximately 70% of work time spent in an office environment and the remaining 30% of work time spent traveling and working in sites such as schools, educational service units, and other service agencies.

Qualifications / Requirements

Minimum Qualifications:
Master’s degree in the field of education or related subject area, two years of successful preK-12 teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school, or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.

NOTE: A Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per 92 NAC 21 must be possessed by the time the candidate begins employment at the Nebraska Department of Education and an active certificate maintained while in the Education Specialist position.
Substitution: Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent Master of Arts in Teaching per 92 NAC 21, and four years of teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.
Preferred Qualifications:
Master’s degree in Education, endorsement in Special Education, and at least five years of experience working in serving students with disabilities.
Zone 5

Additional Information

Budgeted Salary Range:
$49,254.40 – $59,086.56 This range is based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate’s skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.

Contact Information

Nebraska Department of Education
301 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln, NE 68509
https://www.education.ne.gov/

Jasmine Lionberger
(p) (402) 471-9234