Secondary Special Education Paraprofessional – Platteview Central
Springfield Platteview Community Schools
Position Title: Special Education-Paraprofessional
• This job description describes in general terms the normal duties that the assistant will be expected to undertake. However, the job or duties described may vary or be amended from time to time without changing the level of responsibility associated with the job.
• Special education aides work under the overall supervision of their building principal with direct supervision provided by special education teachers. They are employed when required to implement special education or related services for a class and/or to provide direct assistance to students. Their duties will vary depending upon the age of students served as well as the nature and severity of the student’s disabilities.
• Please see attached Classified Handbook for additional job performance information. Teaching and Learning
• Assist in the educational and social development of students under the direction and guidance of the facilitator and classroom teachers.
• Assist in the implementation of Individual Education Plans for the students and monitor their progress.
• Provide support for individual students inside and outside the classroom to enable them to fully participate in activities.
• Work with other professionals, such as speech therapist, counselors, occupational and physical therapists, etc.
• Assist classroom teachers with maintaining student records.
• Support students with emotional or behavior concerns and assist them in developing appropriate social skills.
• Assist in the preparation and display of student work.
• Assist classroom teachers with copying items to support teaching.
Standards and Quality Assurance
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Have a high school diploma
• Be capable of physically assisting students with specials needs as required (positioning, lifting, transferring, restraining, etc.)
• Have demonstrated ability to work effectively under the direction of others
• Have demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
• Have willingness to assume any responsibilities appropriate for the position
• Support the Mission Statement of the district.
• Behave and speak in a professional manner at all times.
• Set a good example in terms of dress, punctuality, and attendance.
• Attend staff and team meetings.
• Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
• All other duties as assigned.
It is understood and agreed that all provisions and regulations laid down by the Board of Education shall be carried out by the Special Education Paraprofessional Aide that he/she will cooperate with the Superintendent and District Administrators in the faithful execution of these rules, as well as any and all other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Superintendent.
Evaluation: Each educational support staff member’s job performance shall be evaluated by his/her direct supervisor. The evaluation process includes day-to-day observations and such supervision/communication as is applicable to the job classification. Supervisors shall provide employees an opportunity to discuss performance. As appropriate, supervisors should discuss with employees’ job performance issues that require timely attentio
Start date – August 13, 2019
How to Apply
For official application and more information go to the district website and click on Job Opportunities