Position Title: Director of Special Education
Reports to: Superintendent
Compensation: Salary Commensurate with Degree and Experience
SUMMARY: The primary responsibilities of the Special Education Director include: plan, administer, and assess the effectiveness of short-term and long-term services for learning or otherwise disabled students. Developing budgets, implementing grants, and reviewing related legislation for compliance. Analyze information obtained from needs assessments and research current trends in the field. Additional duties will include supervising and providing professional development opportunities for special education teachers and paraprofessionals. Administrative Certificate is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Essential duties must be performed on site. Other duties may be assigned
● Plans, administers, and directs the division’s special education programs.
● Develops and administers the division’s annual plan for special education.
● Formulates proposals for the development and revision of policies pertaining to special education programs.
● Establishes and monitors procedures for the screening, placement, evaluation, assignment, and reappraisal of students with regard to the special education program.
● Coordinates the development, implementation, and revision of the curriculum for special needs students with curriculum supervisors.
● Ensures compliance with state and federal regulations governing special education programs and services.
● Interprets special education programs to the School Board, staff, and the public.
● Assists school principals with planning and implementing effective school-based special education programs
● Conferences with parents/guardians of students enrolled in special education programs and resolves concerns.
● Serves as a facilitator for the Special Education Advisory Committee. 11. Evaluates special education programs to ensure that objectives for student education are met.
● Prepares and administers the special education budget, prepares grant applications, and solicits funds to provide financial support for programs.
● Provides expenditure control for requisitioning and ordering equipment and materials for the special education program.
● Assesses and identifies special education program needs and provides recommendations regarding future special education equipment, program, and personnel requirements.
● Assists the human resources department with interviewing and recommending qualified candidates for special education professional staff positions.
● Supervises, evaluates, and directs the work of special education departmental personnel to include special education supervisors and coordinators.
● Supervises the development of in-service programs for special education personnel.
● Directs the preparation of reports as required by federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
● Communicates with the transportation department to arrange for transportation of special education students.
● Facilitates interagency planning between the school division and external service providers such as residential care facilities and day treatment facilities.
● Ensures accurate record keeping of students receiving special services or enrolled in special classes.
● Provides systematic academic intervention and enrichment supports for students resulting in high quality standards based instruction.
● Facilitates a collaborative approach to support student success through programs and services involving family and community engagement.
● Systematically designs a set of components including a counseling curriculum, responsive services, and systems supports for students.
● Assists in the development and implementation of educational compliance in regards to federal and state regulations.
● Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
● Other duties as assigned by Superintendent