Position Purpose: The school nurse protects and promotes student health, facilitates optimal development, and supports academic success. School nurses are grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice and are the leaders who bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to a design system that allows individuals and communities to develop their full potential.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Completion of a Registered Nursing Program, required.
- Hold a valid nursing license with Nebraska’s Department of Health & Human Services or the Nurse Licensure Compact, required.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (CPR & AED) or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire, required
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, required; Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Special Services School Nurse Certificate through the Nebraska Department of Education, required.
- Ability to develop positive relationships to promote mutual dignity and respect among students and staff.
- Ability and patience to work interactively with students.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Evidence of the willingness and ability to comply with standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, staff, parents and the community.
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student information system.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Knowledge of OPS’s mission, purpose, goals and the role of every employee in achieving each of them.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Provides nursing/health care for children of various ages with varied medical issues.
- Provides on-site health assessments and develops/implements appropriate emergency health care plans.
- Ensuring compliance of the state’s immunization program.
- Continual maintenance of cumulative student health records according to statutory requirements.
- Takes appropriate measures in case of injury, communicable disease symptoms, signs of abuse or other condition, which affect the welfare of an individual or group of students.
- Maintains a secure location for all medications and medical equipment to ensure safety of all.
- Provides meaningful communication and educates in areas pertaining to student health.
- Participates in the building’s crisis team.
- Provides appropriate medical care for school staff and visitors during a crisis situation.
- Participates in the wellness committee for the school.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills in a multicultural urban setting.
- Demonstrates strong communication and organizational skills and awareness of community services.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Maintains open lines of communications with parents, guardians and staff.
- Coordinates with other school professional staff members and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards with ethical and professional performance established by district policy as well as the State Board of Education.
- Works collaboratively to achieve the overall purpose of the program and support the District’s vision, aims and goals.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Central Office Administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
$44,000.00 – 56,320 (BA degree) / Per Year
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: As per negotiated agreement / Exempt