English/Language Arts Teacher
A teacher’s role at Omaha Virtual School is to create, plan, and facilitate online and onsite learning experiences for students. These learning experiences are personalized and mastery-based, as students navigate our curriculum at their own pace. Teaching in this non-traditional environment requires facilitating differentiated pathways that students need in order to succeed. The majority of course content is delivered in the online platform.
Therefore, teacher instruction is student-centered, data-driven, and focused on attainment of skills that can be applied in the real-world. Instruction may be 1:1, small group, or whole group. Teachers are responsible for engaging learners in deeper-level thinking and application of skills that align to the district’s graduate profile (collaboration, communication, critical thinking, civic and global responsibility, resilient achievers, and innovators). Teachers are actively involved in building this new program and must exhibit a growth mindset and collaboration skills.
***This is not a work from home position. Staff report to the Teacher Administrative Center daily.**
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare, and implement instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences in a blended learning environment
- Identify, select, create and modify instructional resources to meet the needs of the students with varying backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs
- Assist in assessing changing curricular needs and offer plans for improvement
- Maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures
- Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process
- Communicate with students, parents, and internal and external professionals within established timelines
- Collaborate with peers, students, and parents to enhance the instructional environment for students by participating in activities which include, but are not limited to, team teaching, meetings, staff development, communities of practice, and various committees
- Model professional and ethical standards when working with students, parents, peers, and community members
- Ensure that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program classification
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, parents, schools, and colleagues measured by district/school survey results
- Meet specific course and school-wide student performance goals
- Demonstrate gains in student performance
- Participate in research and presentations about online teaching; this may include activities such as, authoring articles, hosting workshops, sharing of information for professional growth, and student outreach events and activities
- Participate in blended learning models, which includes both on-line and classroom instruction
- May be responsible for instructional tutoring
- Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as, meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others
- All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
- Others duties as assigned by supervisor or district office
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in education from an accredited college or university.
- A valid NE Teaching Certificate or the ability to obtain one with appropriate endorsement: English -12 endorsement preferred for high school position and Elementary K-8 endorsement for 5-8 grade position preferred.
- A demonstrated philosophy that ail students can and will learn.
- Excellent attendance record
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Best Instructional practices
- Positive interpersonal skills
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance and/or student teaching experience.
- Evidence of the willingness and the ability to comply with the standards for ethical and professional performance established by the State Board of Education.
- This Individual will exhibit skills pertinent to foster positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students. staff, parents and the community
- A willingness and demonstrated abilities conducive to a continuous quest for quality education.
* NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equipment: This position will require the ability to use office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. It will be necessary to display ability to engage in online/blended activities utilizing software/websites that deliver content remotely. Employees must always comply with OPS guidelines for equipment use.
Travel: limited travel between schools and central offices will be required. Occasional travel outside of Omaha or Nebraska may be required.
Job Title: Virtual School, English Language Arts Teacher (9th – 12th grade and 5-8th grade)
Location: Teacher Administrative Center (T.A.C.), 3215 Cuming St. Omaha NE 68131
(this is not a remote position – staff report to work at TAC daily)
Salary Schedule: Commensurate with experience and education