Elementary Assistant Principal
The Elementary Assistant Principal assumes joint responsibility with, and is under the direction of the principal for the effective administration of the school and all facets of its instructional program. Under the direction of the principal, this individual assumes responsibility for the ongoing development and management of the school’s programs. Under the direction of the principal, this individual assists in the supervision of all certified and non-certified staff assigned to the school and assists by providing leadership in establishing expectations for student attendance, conduct and learning performance. This individual will exhibit strong standards of professional ethics when relating to staff, students, parents, administration, and the community.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Keep abreast of developments in elementary school curriculum and instruction and assist in providing leadership in determining the appropriateness of incorporating recent strategies.
- Maintain the districts overall mission, assist in supporting and implementing board policies and the academic action plan school wide with staff and students.
- Assist in the development and support of curriculum and instructional growth to enhance the educational opportunities for all students.
- Under the direction of the principal, assist in providing professional development.
- Monitor and use relevant data to effect change in instructional practices enhancing student learning.
- Maintain effective communication with all supporting divisions within the Omaha Public School district as well as staff, students and community.
- Assist in the maintenance of accurate budgetary information essential to the running of the educational programs and facilities.
- Assist in providing leadership for a collaborative team to ensure that curriculum and instructional initiatives are student focused and aligned with the District’s mission and beliefs and school goals and improvement plans.
- Works collaboratively with the Principal and Leadership staff in conducting teacher observations, instructional coaching visits and providing feedback for continuous growth.
- Adhere to the district evaluation process related to both classified and non-classified staff.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours or weekends to participate and supervise school events.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Building Principal and central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree with major emphasis in educational administration and supervision required.
- A valid Nebraska Administrative Certificate with endorsement in the area of administration and supervision.
- Minimum of five (5) years of successful teaching experience required with urban experience preferred.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the philosophy, purpose and function within an urban school district.
- Demonstrates an empathy for helping to lead a strong diverse urban educational environment.
- Demonstrated philosophy that all students can and will learn.
- Demonstrated record of success which exemplifies instructional leadership, standards of academic excellence and personal integrity.
- Knowledge of current educational trends/issues impacting the elementary school.
- Realizes the importance and models the use of current technology in the educational environment.
- Budgets school time to provide for the efficient conduct of school instruction and business.
- Demonstrates the promotion of life-long learning by assisting in providing pertinent professional development in both the academic curriculum as well as cultural proficiency and awareness of understanding diversity.
- Assists in Implementing Board policies and the Academic Action Plan School wide for the staff and students.
- The skills pertinent to positive human relationships and the ability to work effectively with students, members of the instructional staff and the community.
- Continuous quest for quality education.
Location: Minne Lusa Elementary, 2728 Ida St., Omaha, NE 68112
Reports To: Building Principal
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 10 month/ Exempt
Salary Schedule: Salary commensurate with degree and experience