Science Teacher, 7-8
It is the policy of Norfolk Public Schools to not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, color, religion, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or other protected status in its educational programs, admission policies, employment policies or other administered programs. Persons requiring accommodations to apply and/or be considered for positions are asked to make their request to the Superintendent.
JOB TITLE: JUNIOR HIGH SCIENCE TEACHER
*NOTE: This is a generalized job description. Specific science teaching assignments may vary somewhat in essential functions and requirements. Applicants should be made aware of specific requirements prior to employment.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid Nebraska Certificate with an endorsement in subject area
- Successful teaching and/or practice teaching endorsement
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate
- Successfully pass district background check
REPORTS TO: Building Administrator
RECEIVES GUIDANCE FROM: Building Administrator
JOB GOAL: To organize and facilitate a productive learning environment which provides opportunities and access for students to: master appropriate levels of subject matter aligned to standards, develop effective communication skills, foster an appreciation of our culture and heritage, promote a positive classroom climate, build effective relationships, and role model respect for the rights of others. The classroom teacher shall assist the student in his/her development as a mature, able and responsible adult. The teacher will also provide opportunities and access for students to: acquire mastery of basic science concepts, perform science activities through active student participation; apply science skills and concepts across content areas, and develop an interest in the field of science as it pertains to their future lives.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine month year or as established by the Board of Education
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of administrative guidelines; evaluated by building administrator
- Consistent and punctual “on site” attendance at the worksite is an essential job function
- Implements Board policy regarding education philosophy/curriculum under the direction of the administration through planning, organizing, managing, interacting with students; establishing rapport with students, staff, parents and community, and continuing professional development
- Effectively utilizes the district Instructional Model
- Implements the disciplinary procedures of the district
- Supervises behavior in the school environment to maintain the safety and well being of the students and staff
- Keeps accurate records of attendance, absences and tardies
- Collaborates with others in a Professional Learning Community
- Uses an appropriate variety of instructional strategies
- Makes effective use of audio-visual materials and aids
- Communicates positive support of students in their educational development
- Recognizes the exemplary influence of the educator over the student
- Relates with staff, parents and community stakeholders through positive professional cooperation
- Supervises hallways, cafeteria, study halls, and other assignments on a scheduled basis as directed
- Student behavior does not detract from the effective learning climate in the classroom
- Teacher exhibits patience, openness, and concern in dealing with students
- Rapport within and outside the classroom evidences mutual respect between the students and teacher
- Teacher exhibits tact and self-control in dealing with parents
- Teacher accepts feedback from administrators with self reflection and a growth mindset
- Periodically issues communication forms and grade reports
- Suggests positive recommendations for the continuing review and development of curriculum
- Remains current with professional training and shows evidence of regular professional growth
- Actively participates at scheduled staff meetings, PLC’s, and serves on educational committees
- Assumes responsibility periodically for conferences with parents
- Recognizes the extra curriculum program as integral to the educational development of the child
- Performs other duties within the scope of employment and certification as assigned by the appropriate administrator
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Intellectual, Sensory):
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Skills in leadership, organization, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Skills in human relations; ability to deal with a variety of people
- Ability to work under stress
- Skills in assessment and evaluation
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work varied hours as requested including early mornings and evenings on occasion.
- Ability to work in a smoke-free and drug-free work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Strength, movement, auditory, taste/smell, and vision demands specific to job.
- Manual dexterity to handle computer and phone requirements.
Position begins August, 2023
Salary Information: https://www.norfolkpublicschools.org/district/business-services/employment-compensation-and-agreements/certified-employees.html
View our video at https://youtu.be/
Contact InformationNorfolk Public Schools
512 W Phillip Ave
Norfolk, Nebraska 68701
(p) (402) 644-2500 1112
(f) (402) 644-2506
How to Apply
Please apply through our website: https://norfolkpublicschools.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx