Physical Education Teacher
It is the policy of Norfolk Public Schools to not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, color, religion, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or other protected status in its educational programs, admission policies, employment policies or other administered programs. Persons requiring accommodations to apply and/or be considered for positions are asked to make their request to the Director of Human Resources.
JOB TITLE: Junior High School – PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
*NOTE: This is a generalized job description. Specific Physical Education teaching assignments may vary somewhat in essential functions and requirements. Applicants should be made aware of specific requirements prior to employment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid Nebraska Certificate with endorsement in physical education
- Successful teaching and/or practice teaching experience
- First aid certificate, CPR training
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate
REPORTS TO: Building Administrators
RECEIVES GUIDANCE FROM: Building Administrators/ Department Heads
JOB GOAL: To help students to live a constructive, wholesome, and happy life through a variety of lifetime wellness activities and exposure to a wide variety of activities which may be applied in and after high school. To provide knowledge of skills of the various games, along with rules and participation. The instructor shall be a positive role model and assist the student in his/her development in the production of desirable social, mental and emotional responses.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine months or as established by the Board of Education
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of administrative guidelines. Evaluated by building administrator
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reports to work as scheduled on a punctual and reliable basis.
- Implements and evaluates an approved course in the area of physical education.
- Plans instructional objectives and activities consistent with curriculum guides and developmental goals.
- Follows district curriculum guidelines and department expectations.
- Incorporates a program of instruction involving basic fundamentals of team sports and individual physical activities to promote health and well being.
- Exercises mature and professional judgment in teaching and in associations with staff and students.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding colleagues, students, and parents.
- Teaches the district standards in the assigned area, utilizes effective planning for each day’s teaching and learning activities, clarifies goals and objectives of lessons and assignments, diagnoses and prescribes strategies for student achievement.
- Evaluates student progress and achievement, and continually seeks to engage and motivate students for the learning tasks at hand.
- Provides for the reasonable care and safety of the students who are assigned to them at all times.
- Provides for the remediation of skills for those students who have not progressed as rapidly as their peers.
- Participates in professional activities as part of the teaching assignment.
- Instills the value of team work and fair play.
- Actively participates in Professional Learning Community (PLC) discussions at grade and subject levels.
- Establishes and fosters a cooperative working relationship with the staff of the building to which the teacher is assigned, as well as with other district personnel.
- Demonstrates high standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Utilizes a variety of positive supports for the students in their physical and social development.
- Communicates positively and builds confidence for the students in their physical and social development.
- Relates with staff, parents, and community stakeholders through positive professional cooperation.
- Remains current about best practices in the physical education field.
- Performs such other tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Utilizes instructional materials and other educational resources in a competent and effective manner.
- Makes use of technology for instructional purposes as well as for record keeping, administrative and other non-instructional uses as may be required.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Intellectual, Sensory):
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Skills in organization, problem solving, conflict resolution and human relations
- Visual and auditory acuity
- Skills in assessment and evaluation
This position begins August, 2023.
Salary information: https://www.norfolkpublicschools.org/district/business-services/employment-compensation-and-agreements/certified-employees.html