English Language Learners (ELL) Teacher, K-8
It is the policy of Norfolk Public Schools to not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, color, religion, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or other protected status in its educational programs, admission policies, employment policies or other administered programs. Persons requiring accommodations to apply and/or be considered for positions are asked to make their request to the Superintendent.
JOB TITLE: ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNER TEACHER
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid Nebraska Certificate with appropriate endorsement in subject area. ELL endorsement preferred
- Successful teaching and/or practice teaching experience
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate
- Successfully pass district background check
REPORTS TO: Building Administrator
RECEIVES GUIDANCE FROM: Building Administrator
JOB GOAL: To organize and conduct a learning situation which will enable students to
master appropriate levels of subject matter, skill in communications, an
appreciation of culture and heritage and a respect for the rights of others.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine month year or as established by the Board of Education
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of
administrative guidelines. Evaluated by building principal.
- Consistent and punctual “on site” attendance at the worksite is an essential job function
- Assess ELL student language and ability levels.
- Work with a wide variety of language levels and abilities in the same class.
- Combine reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in a multi-level classroom
- Knowledgeable in a variety of content areas
- Plan, coordinate and implement standardized and informal assessments to determine appropriate levels of student services.
- Translate and differentiate content area materials from other classes to meet current student needs.
- Diagnose student needs and communicate individual student needs to content are teachers.
- Advocate for students in collaborating with content area teachers.
- Establish and maintain clear classroom expectations and procedures.
- Assist content area teachers to understand ELL student needs.
- Actively participate in weekly PLC planning meetings and collaborate with content area teachers on modification of materials.
- Follow student progress in classes and actively monitor grades and credits toward graduation.
- Communicate school information to parents in a variety of ways.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Intellectual, Sensory):
- Good fluency in a second language desired
- Exemplary command of written and oral communication skills
- Sensitivity/awareness of other cultural group norms
- Skills in leadership, interpersonal relations, organization, problem solving and conflict management, assessment and
2024-2025 School Year
Salary information: https://www.norfolkpublicschools.org/district/business-services/employment-compensation-and-agreements/certified-employees.html
View our video at https://youtu.be/
How to Apply
Please apply through the Norfolk Public Schools website: https://norfolkpublicschools.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx