Full-Time Substitute Teacher
FULL-TIME SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
- This position will be paid on a “per diem” rate based upon the number of student days remaining in the current school year. This “per diem” rate is based on the current year base salary for certified staff. Full time benefits are also included during the course of employment in this position.
- Norfolk Public Schools will conduct a thorough background check on all candidates.
- Before a candidate can begin employment, they will need to complete all payroll forms in person. This includes copies of a driver’s license, social security card, and a voided check (cannot use a deposit slip).
- The employee will receive a photo ID when all paperwork is complete.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid/registered Nebraska Teaching/Substitute Certificate
- Successful teaching and/or practice teaching experience
- Completion of the application procedure and HR orientation
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate
REPORTS TO: Director of Human Resources
RECEIVES GUIDANCE FROM: Building Administrators
- The goal of this position will be to provide consistent instructional coverage as needed according to the prioritized needs of the school district under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources. This individual will teach in the absence of the regular teacher, carrying out the lessons plans of the teacher for whom he/she is substituting, and meeting the duties of teaching as outlined in current laws and policies.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- This is a “one year only” employment agreement contingent upon the number of school days remaining in the current academic year.
- Performance will be evaluated by the Director of Human Resources with input from district administrators.
NOTE: The requirements for long term subbing have been suspended for this position and the “per diem” compensation will begin immediately in conjunction with the first day of service.
- Consistent and punctual attendance
- Flexibility is critical as the daily assignment for this position could change at the last minute
- Respect personal privacy and maintain confidentiality regarding students and staff
- Meet with the principal/staff regarding any questions and concerns about lesson plans or rules and regulations of the school
- Comply with all building procedures and schedules
- Adhere to school and administrative procedures
- Keep accurate attendance records
- Follow the regular lesson plans of the absent teacher
- Display a confident and positive attitude to encourage student engagement
- Establish and maintain order in the classroom
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning
- Communicate with students in a clear and understandable manner
- Maintain high standards of education
- Provide guidance and advice to students; show interest in a student’s progress
- Encourage critical thinking, analytical and creative skills
- Update records and promptly submit reports as appropriate
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, materials, equipment, and facilities
- Never leave students unsupervised
- Monitor behavior of students and report to the principal any major discipline issues.
- Report evidence of suspected child abuse to building administrator
- Supervise non-classroom activities when assigned
- Cooperate with all school personnel
- Prepare and submit a daily summary of work on designated building forms
- Update the regular teacher of situations or problems encountered
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Intellectual, Sensory):
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Skills in leadership, organization, problem solving and conflict resolution
- Skills in human relations; ability to deal with a variety of people
- Ability to work under stress
This position will be paid on a “per diem” rate based upon the number of student days remaining in the current school year. This “per diem” rate is based on the current year base salary for certified staff. Full time benefits are also included during the course of employment in this position.
START DATE: August, 2022