It is the policy of Norfolk Public Schools to not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, color, religion, veteran status, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, or other protected status in its educational programs, admission policies, employment policies or other administered programs. Persons requiring accommodations to apply and/or be considered for positions are asked to make their request to the Director of Human Resources.
JOB TITLE: Educational Diagnostician
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college
- Valid Nebraska teaching certificate with appropriate endorsement in subject area
- Five years of successful teaching experience preferred
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Programs
RECEIVES GUIDANCE FROM: Director of Special Programs / Building Administrators
JOB GOAL: The diagnostician will conduct appropriate educational assessments and provide information to assist educational teams in determining student strengths and areas of challenge. This information will be utilized to develop effective learning plans that maximize student strengths and increase achievement.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine-month year or as established by the Board of Education
EVALUATION: Evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the district’s
Personnel Evaluation Policy
- Consistent and punctual “on site” attendance at the worksite is an essential job function
- Compliant with state and federal regulations for special education programs
- Perform evaluations and provide recommendations as needed
- Understand and select appropriate testing and assessment tools
- Evaluate test results and communicate the findings to designated stakeholders
- Review and document student progress from teachers, parents, and administrators, as well as evaluations
obtained through one-on-one interviews and observatory meetings
- Understand and utilize district resources
- May assist teachers in implementing student education plans
- Possess an analytical understanding of the developmental needs of children
- Accurately analyze and explain test results, resources, and education plans as needed
- Collaborate with school psychologists, special education staff, and classroom teachers
- Maintains and respects confidentiality of student information
- Keeps accurate documentation and organized records in accordance with district policies
- Collaborates with others in a Professional Learning Community (PLC)
- Uses an appropriate variety of academic assessments
- Maximizes available learning resources
- Communicates positively with students
- Exhibits patience, openness, and concern in dealing with students
- Mutual respect and positive rapport between students and staff member is evident within and outside the learning environment
- Exhibits tact and self-control in dealing with parents
- Accepts suggestions and directions from administrators / school psychologists with a growth mindset
- Communicates through appropriate forms and report
- Suggests positive recommendations for the continuing review and development of programs
- Remains current with professional training and shows evidence of regular professional growth
- Actively participates at scheduled staff meetings and professional development activities
- Assumes responsibility periodically for conferences with parents
- Performs other duties within the scope of certification as assigned by the appropriate administrator and/or
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Intellectual, Sensory):
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Skills in leadership, organization, problem solving, and conflict resolution
- Skills in human relations; ability to effectively deal with a variety of people
- Ability to perform quality work under stress
- Skills in assessment and evaluation
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work varied hours as requested including early mornings, evenings, and occasional weekends.
- Ability to work in a smoke-free and drug-free work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which
may include sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
- Strength, movement, auditory, taste/smell, and vision demands specific to job.
- Manual dexterity to handle computer and phone requirements.
2023-2024 School Year
Salary Information: https://www.norfolkpublicschools.org/district/business-services/employment-compensation-and-agreements/certified-employees.html