Special Education Consultant
Work in downtown Lincoln – the heart of the city! Check out our benefits tab above to see more reasons to join us at NDE! You can also check out our website: https://www.education.ne.gov/.
Examples of Work
- Provides programmatic leadership, information, and technical assistance in program development, improvement and regulations.
- Conducts periodic review of programs or accreditation processes and evaluates state and federal projects and grants.
- Collaborates with Educational Service Units (ESUs) and school districts to promote program continuity, improve program quality, and improve outcomes for students with disabilities.
- Facilitates the exchange of information and expanded working relationships between NDE Office of Special Education and other agencies; facilitates activities to obtain statewide input into policy development.
- Coordinates and provides guidance for programmatic aspects of awarded grants including the development of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), proposal review, implementation, and monitoring.
- Plans and conducts training sessions and workshops; coordinates, facilitates, and provides leadership to support professional development initiatives and systems.
- Monitors and interprets statewide student data (pertinent to all students but particularly those with disabilities) and makes suggestions for program improvement; provides input for policy development.
- Maintains an understanding of the requirements of Federal Law: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) as well as Rules 51 and 52 – Nebraska’s Regulations and Standards for Special Education Programs Birth-21.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Participates in meetings and workshops.
- Provides technical assistance to parents, school districts, and ESUs.
- This position requires extensive contact with school administrators, educators, other state and program administrators and staff, the general public, community partners, and NDE staff.
Qualifications / Requirements
NOTE: A Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per 92 NAC 21 must be possessed by the time the candidate begins employment at the Nebraska Department of Education and an active certificate maintained while in the Education Specialist position.
Substitution: Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent Master of Arts in Teaching per 92 NAC 21, and four years of teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.
PREFERRED: Three years of successful preK-12 teaching experience in special education. Possession of Nebraska Administrative Certificate. Experience working with and applying for grants.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Best practices, concepts, and methodologies related to special education.
- Related laws, statutes, and regulations.
- Formats used in written business communications.
- English grammar, spelling, and composition needed for correspondence.
- Computer software necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
- Types and uses of office equipment.
- Office management principles, methods, and procedures.
- Established policies, procedures, practices of the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Apply program policies and procedures to review programs for compliance.
- Communicate orally and in writing with agency staff and the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Understand, interpret, and apply rules, administrative policies, and program guidelines.
- Operate office equipment necessary to perform the required duties.
BUDGETED SALARY RANGE: $48,526.40 – $58,215.04 This range is based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate’s skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through the governmentjobs website: