Reading Specialist (Education Specialist III)

To view full job posting and apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nebraska/jobs/3869545

What will you enjoy most about this work? Here’s what the team says!

We have an ability to impact early literacy achievement for Nebraska’s youngest learners, and the ability to influence education across the state of Nebraska. We foster a very inclusive work environment and work with people with very diverse backgrounds.

Doesn’t that sound fulfilling? Join us as a Reading Specialist to provide content area expertise to Nebraska schools around early literacy and promote MTSS, but also advocate and support people where they are and truly meet the individual needs of students! The Office of Teaching, Learning, & Assessment is looking for a team-oriented individual with high accountability and integrity, with a student-centered focus.

Examples of Work

  • Provides statewide leadership, content area expertise, technical assistance, and professional learning related to early literacy education to schools, ESUs, and postsecondary institutions.
  • Advises schools, districts, ESUs, and other stakeholders on requirements and implementation of the Nebraska Reading Improvement Act.
  • Provides support related to curating, vetting, and using early literacy assessments of language and literacy.
  • Develops and delivers professional learning experiences and provides resources related to Early Literacy Education.
  • Provides guidance and recommendations on selecting and implementing high quality, standards-aligned instructional resources to support strong core instruction in early literacy and English Language Arts.
  • Establishes and fosters strategic partnerships with other state agencies, nonprofit organizations, postsecondary education institutions, and business and industry partners.
  • Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.

Working Conditions and Travel:

This position requires approximately 70% of work time spent in an office environment whether the state office or a home office) and the remaining 30% of work time spent traveling and working in sites such as schools, educational service units, and other service agencies.

Qualifications / Requirements

Minimum Qualifications:

Master’s degree in the field of education or related subject area, two years of successful preK-12 teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school, or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.

NOTE: A Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per 92 NAC 21 must be possessed by the time the candidate begins employment at the Nebraska Department of Education and an active certificate maintained while in the Education Specialist position.

Substitution: Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent Master of Arts in Teaching per 92 NAC 21, and four years of teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.

Preferred Qualifications:

Master’s degree in Literacy, Reading Specialist Endorsement (PreK-12), and five or more years of successful preK-3 teaching experience. Experience with early literacy or English language arts as a director, specialist, coordinator, department head, or administrator in a school, ESU, or other professional organization, specifically using early literacy assessments and designing and implementing effective reading programs.

Zone 5

Additional Information

Currently on a contract? Don’t worry! We’ll wait for the right candidate to be released from their contract.

Pay Range:

$51,224.16 – $66,578.72/year

This range is based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate’s skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.

Contact Information

Nebraska Department of Education
500 S 84th St, 2nd floor
Lincoln, NE, Nebraska 68510
https://www.education.ne.gov/

Jasmine Gruhn
(p) (402) 440-3705

How to Apply

All applications must be received through the governmentjobs site in order to be considered: http://bit.ly/joinNDE

You can view benefit information and all other Nebraska state jobs at https://statejobs.nebraska.gov/