High Ability Learning Specialist (Education Specialist III)
The Nebraska Department of Education is looking for a High Ability Learning Specialist to provide leadership, content area expertise, and technical assistance to Nebraska schools, Educational Service Units (ESUs), teacher preparation institutions, and other educational entities related to High Ability Learning (HAL).
The selected candidate will start after July 1, 2020.
Check out our benefits tab above to see more reasons to join us at NDE! You can also check out our website: https://www.education.ne.gov/.
NDE is committed to advancing equity, inclusiveness, and diversity in all that we do. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we encourage applications from ALL qualified candidates and assure they will receive consideration for this position regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Examples of Work
- Provides statewide leadership, oversight, and technical assistance related to HAL to schools, ESUs, and postsecondary institutions.
- Provides support related to identification of learners with high ability, and curriculum acceleration, curriculum differentiation, and curriculum enrichment.
- Develops and delivers professional learning experiences and provides resources related to teaching and learning of high ability learners.
- Oversees and manages HAL state funds and other related grant programs. Develops, reviews, and revises grant application processes and reporting requirements. Monitors grant programs to ensure compliance with state and federal guidelines.
- Provides content expertise and assistance to other Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) staff regarding High Ability Learning and all related policies, procedures, and practices.
- Establishes and fosters strategic partnerships with other state agencies, nonprofit organizations, postsecondary education institutions, and business and industry partners.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represents the Nebraska Department of Education and serves as liaison to Nebraska Institutions of Higher Education, Educational Service Units, and other professional groups statewide, nationally, and internationally (e.g. Nebraska Association of the Gifted).
- Serves as Nebraska Department of Education point of contact for Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses.
- Updates websites and social media (Twitter and Facebook) for program postings and updates.
- Provides guidance and information to citizen groups, parents, and families interested in high ability learning.
Working Conditions and Travel:
This position requires approximately 75% of work time spent in an office environment and the remaining 25% of work time spent traveling and working in sites such as schools, educational service units, and other service agencies.
Qualifications / Requirements
Master’s degree in the field of education or related subject area, two years of successful preK-12 teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school, or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.
NOTE: A Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per 92 NAC 21 must be possessed by the time the candidate begins employment at the Nebraska Department of Education and an active certificate maintained while in the Education Specialist position.
Substitution: Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent Master of Arts in Teaching per 92 NAC 21, and four years of teaching or school administration experience in an approved or accredited Nebraska school or equivalent teaching or school administration experience in another state or country, and eligible for/possess a current Nebraska Teaching or Administrative Certificate per §79-807.
High Ability Education endorsement (K-12) and at least five years of successful preK-12 experience working with high ability learners. Leadership experience (director, specialist, department head, etc.) in a school, Educational Service Unit, or professional organization. Involvement in local, state, and national organizations and experience facilitating professional development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High ability learning identification and related concepts, strategies, methodologies, and principles.
- Instructional resources and materials (e.g. curriculum acceleration, differentiation, and enrichment).
- Governmental and private agencies program rules and regulations.
- Principles and practices of management and administration.
- Formats used in written business communications.
- English grammar, spelling, and composition needed for correspondence.
- Computer software necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
- Types and uses of office equipment.
- Office management principles, methods, and procedures.
- Established policies, procedures, practices of the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Collect and analyze data to prepare reports, solve problems, and make recommendations.
- Assist in facilitation of cross-team projects.
- Research best practices and new developments related to position.
- Manage fiscal and programmatic aspects of federal grants, contracts, and state programs.
- Supervise subordinates and work with minimal supervision.
- Communicate orally and in writing with agency staff and the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Maintain the confidential nature of information.
- Understand, interpret, and apply rules, administrative policies, and program guidelines.
- Operate office equipment necessary to perform the required duties.
Budgeted Salary Range:
$49,254.40 – $64,018.24 This range is based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate’s skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.