Deputy Commissioner, Student & Client Success and Services
View full job posting and apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/nebraska/jobs/3096243
Please review the posting prior to submitting questions. For questions, you can reach out to email@example.com.
The Nebraska Department of Education is hiring a Deputy Commissioner to provide strategic leadership and vision aligned with the mission, strategic priorities, and goals of the State Board of Education as a member of the Commissioner of Education’s senior leadership team. This position also oversees the day-to-day management of the Student and Client Success and Services Division, including Nebraska Vocational Rehabilitation.
Examples of Work
- Provides leadership and oversight to the Student and Client Success and Services Division, which includes the Offices of Career, Technical, & Adult Education, Coordinated Student Support Services, ESEA Programs, Special Education, and Nebraska Vocational Rehabilitation (including the Assistive Technology Partnership). Ensures intentional collaboration among agency offices and divisions.
- Implements the Nebraska Department of Education’s (NDE’s) strategic vision and priorities and serves as a key decision-maker contributing to agency-wide planning, development, and evaluation.
- Provides vision and input at the agency, state, and national levels to impact legislation and policy, and ensures coordination between state and federal policy, programs, and services.
- Maintains an understanding of the programs, services and operational functions of the agency and appropriately implements policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Represents the Commissioner of Education at internal and external meetings, boards, and forums, and serves as a point-of-contact for leadership of local school districts and educational service units.
- Informs the Commissioner of significant issues, program developments, and operations within the agency.
- Works collaboratively to complete annual and biennial budgets, and ensures the budget reflects major projects and initiatives, operational requirements, and changes in state and/or federal regulations.
- Provides leadership in the hiring, supervision, and potential discipline of staff. Conducts performance management activities including establishing annual goals related to the strategic plan, holding check-in meetings to discuss goal progress, and completing performance appraisals. Facilitates a continuous learning environment by promoting professional development to ensure all employees have the opportunity and skills to be efficient and effective in meeting the goals of the agency. Delegates work and projects appropriately among staff.
- Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Possesses a valid driver’s license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates research, projects, and initiatives.
- Assists the Commissioner with special projects.