Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Provide direct O & M instruction and assessments to students and completes written reports.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for student IEPs.
- Monitor student IEPs to determine progress and attainment of goals and objectives.
- Prepare weekly lesson plans according to the student IEP goals and objectives.
- Document student progress and provide quarterly progress reports.
- Participate in student IEP/MDT team meetings and parent/teacher conferences.
- Coordinate with other teachers of the visually impaired, speech/language pathologist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, school nurse, and other staff regarding the needs of the students.
- Provide in-service/training for teachers, service providers, administrators and parents regarding orientation and mobility if needed.
- Communicate on a regular basis with special education and general education staff regarding the student’s progress and needs to ensure comprehensive and consistent instructional procedures and programming.
- Communicate on a regular basis with parents regarding student progress.
- Working with and understanding a diverse student population.
- Assists with performing and properly completing daily pre-trip inspection; completes forms, records, and reports as required by federal, state and school district policy.
- Possession of or ability to obtain ACVREP Certification in Orientation and Mobility.
- Completion of the Orientation and Mobility Specialist program is required.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Equipment: This position may require the ability to use assistive technology in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines. Must always comply with OPS’s guidelines for equipment use.
Location: TAC Building
Reports To: Director of Special Education
Work Schedule/FLSA Status: 10 month, 188 days/ Exempt
Salary Schedule: based on degree and experience