Director of Mission and Ministry
The Director of Mission and Ministry at Mount Michael Benedictine School will serve a vibrant and worshipping Catholic community, guided by the Rule of St Benedict and the monastic community of Mount Michael Abbey. The Director addresses the faith development needs of faculty, staff, and students. The Director develops programs and initiatives for sacramental worship, retreats, social justice, service immersion programs, and an active ministry presence in all areas of school life. The Director collaborates closely with the Head of School in promoting the Benedictine character of the school and, in particular, the Benedictine formation of the faculty and staff.
1. Develops a comprehensive vision for Campus Ministry consistent with the school’s mission and Catholic, Benedictine identity.
2. Assists the Head of School in articulating, fostering, implementing programs whether academic or co-curricular that promote the Catholic, Benedictine identity and mission of the school.
3. Develops programs to foster the spiritual growth and faith formation of the faculty and staff, including an annual all employee retreat held during the opening school in-service period.
4. Forms and trains a Student Campus Minister program. These students will be in leadership positions to assist with retreats, liturgy and prayer service planning, coordinate/record student service opportunities, and serve as EMHCs and lectors. They will also serve as leaders at local grade school retreats when the opportunities present themselves.
5. Participates in the Faculty Orientation, and New and Returning Student Orientations to discuss the Campus Ministry Program and organize prayers and liturgies when appropriate.
6. Responsible for the overall development of the school retreat programs.
7. Oversees, coordinates, and regularly assesses the community service program.
8. Creates, plans, and organizes multiple school-wide prayer services per year, including March for Life state gathering, and providing a variety of prayer experiences.
9. Assists in organizing student liturgical ministers (lectors, ministers of hospitality, music ministry) for each school Mass and prayer service.
10. Works to ensure the availability of the Sacraments to students and faculty.
11. Provides pastoral care for both students and faculty.
12. Keep abreast of developments in chosen field by reading current literature, participating in conferences, and other professional development.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Communication, or related field to this position.
2. Two years experience in campus ministry or related field.
3. An understanding of Benedictine Spirituality.
4. Familiarity with Catholic Social Teaching.
5. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
6. Ability and deep desire to work in collaboration with others.
7. Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Publisher, and Excel.
8. Demonstrated capacity to use and create content on social media.
9. Familiarity with issues and trends among young adults, particularly faith concerns.
10. Experience of planning retreats with young adults.
11. Willingness to work evenings and weekends; be on rotation for emergency situation related to student and/or staff and work with counseling department in such a response.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Working toward Master’s degree in Theology, Divinity or Pastoral Ministry or related field.
2. Experience working with students from across a variety of religious and cultural traditions as well as students who are religiously unaffiliated.
3. Familiarity with emerging and evolving social media platforms beyond Facebook and Instagram.
4. Experience in web editing.
5. Experience as a spiritual director.
6. Current valid driver’s license.