Director of Finance
Kearney Public Schools, a Class A District serving 5,800 students PK-12 and employing 950, is accepting applications for Director of Finance. This position has a 260 day contract with competitive salary and benefits Start date is July 1, 2021.
- Degree in finance, business administration, or Masters degree in educational administration.
- Successful school district financial experience preferred.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Functions under the supervision and direction of the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent, and has immediate charge of the finance and budget affairs of Kearney Public Schools.
2. Attends all regular meetings of the Board of Education, and all special meetings which deal with areas of finance, business management, or areas under his/her supervision.
3. Performs and/or assigns staff all duties necessary to the proper discharge of responsibilities designated and such other duties as may be delegated by the Board of Education, the Superintendent or Associate Superintendent.
4. Serves as a member of the administrative team.
5. Performs as a key member of the negotiations team.
6. Responsible for the care of all financial records and accounts.
7. Responsible for receiving, depositing, and investing of all revenues of Kearney Public Schools.
8. Maintains financial records in the necessary form and manner to conform to requirements of the State Department of Education and State Auditor, and supervises the preparation of reports required by law.
9. Prepares the annual budget under the direction of the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent.
10. Responsible for purchasing, soliciting of bids, placing orders for labor, materials, and supplies of any and all descriptions.
11. Correlates business procedures in administering federal funds. Monitors the financial administration of federally funded programs.
12. Develops and monitors appropriate wage/salary determination (compensation) system.
13. Initiates the development of a systematic insurance program for the school district which includes: procedures for determining needs and adequacy of coverage; obtaining and evaluating bids or quotes from brokers; recommending contracts to be awarded; and maintaining an insurance file.
14. Handles risk management for the district.
15. Assists the Superintendent and Associate Superintendent in the planning and building of all new structures and the remodeling of existing structures.
16. Assists the Associate Superintendent with directing the activities of the Transportation Director.
17. Responsible for all state reports and records necessary for transportation.
18. Provides the Board of Education with data about the cost of pupil transportation.
19. Oversees the development of a plan for the systematic replacement of all district vehicles.
20. Assists the Associate Superintendent with directing the activities of the Food Services Director in the operation of the school lunch program.
21. Responsible for the collection and verification of census data. Oversees the preparation of the annual report.
22. Assists the Associate Superintendent with providing dependable enrollment projections for both near and long-term planning needs.