Special Education Teacher-Alternative Curriculum
Educational Service Unit #3
Brook Valley School is a Level 3 school setting for students with behavior disabilities including autism, developmental delays, and language delays. We are searching for a Special Education Teacher who wants to make a difference teaching students individually and in very small groups and will provide the training and support you need to succeed! Structured mentoring and training in techniques designed specifically for students with more significant disabilities creates an opportunity for ALL students to learn and grow. Contact Principal Julie Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and apply today!
Job Title: Certified Classroom Teacher – ESU3 Alternative Program
Job Code: 7530
Department: Student Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Immediate Supervisor: Principal
People Supervised: Paraprofessional
General Responsibilities: Responsible for establishment and maintenance of an individualized Education Program and appropriate programming for students with a verified disability as defined in Nebraska Rule 51.
Number of Days Worked: Works 5 days per week. 8:00 am-4:30 pm. 190 days.
- No history of child abuse or negligence.
- Minimum of BA/BS in Special Education
- Nebraska Teaching Certificate
- Successfully pass required background checks.
- Regular and dependable in person attendance is required.
- Understand and comply with the ESU #3 Board of Education Personnel Policies and Employee Handbook.
- Understand and comply with Brook Valley School Educational Policies, Philosophies and Student Handbook.
- Dependable and reliable attendance.
- Assist teachers, counselors and administrators in planning support systems for the student when returning to the local school district.
- Assist attendance offices in preparing truancy information needed by the county Attorney’s office to prosecute violators of the Compulsory Attendance Law.
- Maintain the standards of conduct and ethics set forth by the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Establish and maintain a record keeping system (remembering confidentiality) in order to provide needed information for the final written report when the student leaves the program for the contracting local school.
- Be available to attend meetings regarding the student with outside agencies when appropriate.
- Be an advocate for the school with the student and family.
- Write on-going remedial programs in the areas of a student’s identified weakness.
- Communicate with parents in implementing Individual Educational Programs for children who are verified with a special education disability.
- Develop working relationships and direction for para in the classroom.
- Communicate any needs to the building administrator.
- Maintain records and files as required by the Nebraska Department of Education Rule 51.
- Seek out and participate in appropriate staff development activities to maintain and improve professional skills.
- Utilize current instructional material in student’s programs which are supplementary to those already in use in the classroom.
- Provide direct instruction in behavioral/academic methodologies to assigned para professionals.
- Develop behavior management programs according to student needs.
- Provides own transportation to fulfill responsibilities of position.
- The classroom teacher shall keep an inventory of classroom supplies and equipment.
- Support health related activities and activities of daily living.
- Demonstrate professional conduct, maintain confidentiality and pursue professional growth.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The terms of this job description may not be modified except in a writing signed by the ESU #3 Administrator. Classroom teachers employed at Brook Valley School must be fully capable of performing each of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES set forth above as well as each of the ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL RESPONSIBILITIES set forth in Exhibit A attached hereto at all times of employment. Staff that are not fully capable of performing 100 percent of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS cannot return to work until they can demonstrate they are fully capable of performing each of the ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES and ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS according to a doctor or other person qualified to make that determination and agreed to by the ESU #3 CEO. This is for the safety of the employee due to the nature of the students in the classroom.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities and duties assigned are at the discretion of the supervisor.
This is for the 21-22 school year.
How to Apply
Apply on our website at www.esu3.org.