Are you passionate about shaping the future of America’s Youth?
Boys Town changing the way America cares for children, families and communities by providing and promoting an Integrated Continuum of Care that instills Boys Town values to strengthen body, mind and spirit.
Our mission is centered on creating an environment for children that includes trust, discipline, emotional support and respect. We believe that all children and youth have the potential to become bright, productive, adjusted, loving people.
Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year. Join our Town today and help us shape the future of America!
The Superintendent serves as chief administrative officer of the Boys Town School System, operating under the policy direction of Boys Town and in accordance with federal and state laws. This position also provides assistance in developing, formulating, and revising guidance documents in school finance, school program planning, and educational program review.
- Supervises and coordinates all administrative duties for both students and staff at the Boys Town Schools.
- Administers all aspects of the School programs including development and implementation of the Master Schedule, staffing assignments, student scheduling, and allocation of resources.
- Administers the development and maintenance of the Boys Town Family Home Program Educational System design with all the ancillary research and operational components that an outstanding educational program entails.
- Administers the development and maintenance of all Community Based Education programs.
- Provides Administrative oversight for various school environments.
- Assigns, supervises, and evaluates all School personnel.
- Coordinates transportation, custodial, and other support services.
- Maintains a high level of professional competence via in-service education, self-selected professional education, and curriculum development.
- Plans, organizes, and administers summer school programs.
- Supervises the preparation of the annual budget and presents it to management.
- Recruits and makes recommendations regarding the hiring of employees.
- Supervises the records of student achievement and attendance to ensure accuracy and security.
- Supervises the conduct of both students and staff within the schools, ensures due process, and maintains records on all disciplinary actions.
- Supervises the safety and maintenance of the School’s facilities.
- Supervises the student observers, the intern program, the student teacher program, etc.
- Supports school-related extracurricular activities.
- Supports all athletic programs, maintaining all required accreditations in good standing.
- Coordinates with the other programs of the Home Campus Programs a unified program approach that best supports the overall treatment goals for each resident of the Home.
- Participates in advancement of the Boys Town Education Model through both research and implementation.
- Supervises and coordinates all educational and counseling duties for both students and staff at the Boys Town Schools.
- Develops and implements the High School, Middle School, and Elementary curriculum, along with various programs, and procedures designed to meet the needs of all students.
- Implements Home Policies, Education Division procedures, and negotiated agreements.
- Provides for appropriate student and instructional services including: guidance, media services, athletics, and student activities.
- Demonstrates concern and respect for individual students.
- Assumes major responsibility for the academic/social skills growth of each student.
- Provides oversight to individuals responsible for student’s health and well-being during the school day.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the use of a behavioral approach to motivate student learning.
- Participates in Student Assistance and Multi-disciplinary Team meetings and in the development of Individualized Educational Plans (when appropriate).
- Oversees Crisis Intervention Techniques in concert with the Educational Staff to deal with students who are out of instructional control.
- Interacts with various professionals and family members regarding individual student progress.
- Attends all administrative team meetings.
- Communicates regularly with Program Leadership Community Directors, Family Teachers, and parents to assure effective school and home relationships.
- Conducts staff meetings, leadership meetings, and in-service sessions with emphasis on individualized education, social skills curriculum, and model implementation.
- Coordinates with other campus school and program administrators in the development of a Master schedule for students and staff including jointly assigned duties.
- Serves as a role model in carrying out the Father Flanagan’s Boys’ Home mission.
- Directs all activities towards the fulfillment of the Boys Town mission
- Directs all actions to reflect the values and principles of Boys Town
- Establishes and maintains an environment that encourages teamwork, collaboration, and ethical behavior
- Maintains regular, reliable and predictable attendance
- Supports other members of the management team and their work
Other Duties: This job description incorporates the essential functions and duties required for this position. However, other duties may be required and assigned at times and as determined by a supervisor in order to meet the needs of the organization
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and must possess qualities of professional and civic leadership and be of good character and moral repute.
- Demonstrated competency in curriculum development and implementation.
- Knowledge of state policies, statutes, and procedures on education and regulations of Nebraska.
- Awareness of community attitudes toward the schools, sources of school support, community expectations for the schools, curriculum and instructional theory and practices, management principles and financial planning, management information systems and leadership techniques is essential.
- Managerial, observational, communications, and leadership skills and abilities.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Special Education Law and practice in Nebraska.
- Master’s Degree in secondary education administration or a closely related field; doctorate degree preferred.
- 10 years successful experience in teaching and school administration including successful school administration. Specialized education experience may offset other required experience except in those cases required by State regulations.
- Nebraska Administrative Certificate with Education Specialist or Doctorate required
- Endorsement in Superintendent PK-12 required
About Boys Town:
Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. With over a century of service, our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town’s mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.