Posted: June 25, 2021
- Job Title: School Psychologist
- Department: Special Education
- Education Level and Certification: Graduate degree (at least two years of additional study beyond bachelors: Masters + 36 or Doctorate) from an accredited school psychology program and an internship in the field for direct experience as required by NDE Rule 24. Must possess, at all times during employment, either: (1) a Nebraska Department of Education Special Services Certificate with an endorsement in School Psychology or (2) or a license to practice psychology in Nebraska issued by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services with completion of the academic requirements and field experience including supervised internship as required by NDE Rule 24, in addition to all other required or assigned certification and training.
- Reports To: Special Education Director and Building Principals
- Required Job Tasks
- Counsel, mentor, and guide students, including students struggling with social, cultural, emotional, or other behavioral problems.
- Assist students in overcoming behavior or social problems in a positive manner that improves student learning and personal progress.
- Identify student learning behaviors and difficulties and develop a plan with the student and student’s family to overcome said obstacles.
- Manage and maintain a program within the District to improve student’s emotional health.
- Maintain student records, including special education reports, confidential records, records of services provided, and behavioral data.
- Serve as a resource to help schools and students deal with crises, such as separation and loss.
- Assist in the designing of classes and programs to meet the needs of students.
- Refer students to appropriate community agencies for services.
- Initiate and direct efforts to foster tolerance, understanding, and appreciation of diversity in school communities.
- Collect and analyze data to evaluate the effectiveness of academic programs and other services, such as behavioral management systems.
- Provide educational programs on topics such as classroom management and teaching strategies.
- Utilize resources to effectively communicate with others with different communication abilities (e.g. non-English speaking, hearing impaired).
- Perform all other assigned tasks in a professional manner.
- Required Knowledge
The School Psychologist is to possess and effectively utilize knowledge in the following areas:
- Psychology—Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling—Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Work Activities
The School Psychologist is to perform the following work activities:
- Getting Information—Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources. This includes: collecting scientific or technical data, social or personal information, statistical data, and obtaining information from individuals.
- Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others—Translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used. This includes: explaining complex mathematical information; interpreting ability or achievement test results, charts or tables for social or economic research, and psychological test results; and writing scholarly or technical research papers.
- FLSA Status: Exempt. Professional exemption: The employee has a primary duty of performing work requiring knowledge of an advanced type in a field of science or learning customarily acquired by a prolonged course of specialized intellectual instruction and study or has a primary duty of teaching, tutoring, instructing, or lecturing in the activity of imparting knowledge and is employed and engaged in this activity as a teacher.
Salary Range Per Year
Shift Type Full Time