BENNINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
GOAL: The job of Paraprofessional is responsible for supporting students, staff and building needs to be determined by building supervisor. Depending on the role of Paraprofessional, he/she’s main focus is to support student success and maintain a caring and positive instructional environment for all students. He/She will have a diverse range of responsibilities and expectations depending on student, classroom, building, and district needs. This position is that of a Paraprofessional and job duties, building assignments, and student populations may change based on district need.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Ability to follow written and oral directions required.
- Must have ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Regular work attendance is essential.
- Professional, personable, and welcoming.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism in interacting with staff, public, parents and Board Members.
REPORTS TO: Building Administration and Direct Supervisors
SUPERVISES: Majority of this role will consist of supervising students.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- 177-day position same schedule as students with some additional time for training 6.5 hour work days.
- Salary range is based on Para pay scale and years of experience.
- If hired as a paraprofessional who assists in transportation or toileting needs for our students, a $0.50 per hour raise will be provided.
- Benefits include LTD and paid sick and personal leave.
- Health insurance is not offered for this position
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation and Support Services Personnel.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (not limited to and depending on paraprofessional position):
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
- Model appropriate behaviors for students
- Develop and maintain a professional rapport with classroom teacher and other staff
- Assist students at arrival and dismissal of school.
- Assist in the supervision of students during lunch and recess periods
- Assist teachers in monitoring, collecting data and maintaining records regarding student performance and progress.
- Ability to perform routine classroom management and maintenance duties
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, recess periods and before or after school times.
- Required to follow all Individual Education Plan’s to be in accordance with NDE Rule 51 and IDEA requirements.
- Ability to organize and retrieve materials and organize schedules according to guidance from direct supervisor.
- Knowledge of computers with the ability to assist students with educational technology to include software.
- Works with and understands the needs of a diverse student population.
- Maintains an instructional focus among students in the classroom.
- Interacts and communicates with administrator/trainers, students, staff, and parents in a courteous, professional manner.
- Records data for factual documentation, accountability, and evaluation purposes.
- Maintains a calm and professional demeanor in all circumstances.
- Assist classroom teacher to carry out educational programs for students with special needs.
- Assist or directly carry out educational activities designed by teacher and support personnel; i.e., Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Speech Language Therapist
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, and be able to adapt to the physical demands of this position, if weight limits are a necessity to communicate with staff immediately.
- Carry out behavior programs as planned by professional staff.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Travel to assist in other buildings if necessary.
- Assist with Special Education Transportation as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including pertinent software applications; planning and managing projects; preparing and maintaining accurate records.
KNOWLEDGE required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: school district operations and philosophy; concepts of grammar and punctuation.
ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing a variety of complex processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize specific, job-related equipment. In working with others, problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with constant and sustained interruptions; working with detailed information/data.
The essential functions of the position include: (1) regular, dependable attendance on the job; (2) the ability to perform the identified tasks and to possess and utilize the identified knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the identified work activities; and, (3) the ability to perform the identified physical requirements as outlined in working environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to lift and pull or push articles up to 50 pounds. He/she sits most of the time but must walk frequently and, at times, stand. The employee is required to reach with his/her hands and continuously to repeat the same hand, arm, or finger motion many times as in typing. Manual and finger dexterity are essential to the job. He/she is constantly working to meet deadlines with severe time restraints. He/she must see and read fine print such as typed or handwritten materials and have good depth perception (fine muscle control). The employee must, also, be able to hear conversation in a noisy environment and to communicate clearly and concisely through speech.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
*Limited travel may be a requirement to fulfill the requirements of this position. District required travel must be pre approved by an immediate supervisor and will be reimbursed per district policy.
*Employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave. Overtime may be required and must be approved by the dir
Bennington Public Schools, a growing district with progressive educational programs, has the following position available for the 2021-22 school year.
How to Apply
Interested applicants MUST apply to our website at https://benningtonschools.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx